Tuesday, November 22, 2011

the big boy room


We finally took the plunge and moved little buddy into a big boy bed.  He is almost 3 1/2 and was definitely ready.  I am never ready for new phases with my babies but getting a chance to decorate a new room sure helps!    

This was his room before the switch.  Notice the S was starting to fall off.  But when it came time to take the giant letters down, they tore the wall up like crazy.  Oops.  Jason had a lot of patch work to do before we could actually paint.  


First up was a new wall color.  A light gray.  It made the room feel so fresh, open, and clean.  I was super happy with my choice.

Here is his room upon entering today.


Would you believe my sister, Beth found that old school desk (that I LOVE) at a Goodwill for only $8?  She called me right away and asked if I wanted it.  Sisters are awesome.

He requested a "cars and trucks" room and that is what he got.  I acquired the wall decor through Etsy, Hobby Lobby, The Country Living Fair, my basement, my Mom, and one of my big sisters.  


I simply taped old car photos inside of frames.


His birthday is July 15th which is the meaning behind the 715.


I made the Cincinnati sign using a piece of scrap wood from our garage and white paint.


We ended up keeping the giant T and Jason decoupaged it with maps for me.  His idea.  I was just going to cover it with one solid map.  I was so proud of him.  


The license plates are from states where Jason and I were born or where we grew up.  Jason grew up in Indiana but was actually born in Kentucky so that is the only one we are missing.  I was born in Missouri and grew up in Ohio.


The Valvoline hat from his Halloween costume was perfect to hang on a hook in his room.



My sister started collecting bouncy balls for me a long time ago when I mentioned they would be cute in a jar.  And the little jar is filled with Jason's old micro machines.


I loved the front of these maps so I just pinned them to the wall inside of an empty frame.


Of course you know there had to be a banner in his room.  Cheaper than curtains and a curtain rod and I love them!  My Mom helped me make these.  We had fun and it went much faster using teamwork!


The bedding is actually the underside of a Pottery Barn plane quilt that I found at a yard sale when he was a baby for only $5.  I wanted a red quilt so I flipped it over and it works great!


The bed was around when Jason was little and matches Avery's bed.  The sheets were ones he actually slept on.  The pillows were made by my Mom and I using an old shirt of Jason's, some heat transfer, and a plane cut from my son's old shirt.


I love his new room.


It was a hit with little buddy too.

6 comments:

  1. Can you come decorate my house? By that I mean, paint, sew, create all idea's. I just can't do it. Trey keeps telling me he wants a new room and I don't know where to start. I love Tyson's room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think my husband knows the word "decoupage" so a big thumbs up to your hubby. Thanks for sharing a kid's room that's not so over-the-top....I get so discouraged/sad when I see pics on Pinterest of incredibly oppulent kid's rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh adorable! love the bunting and the framed maps especially.

    my hunter moved to a big boy bed right after he turned two. the only problem is that it's been 8 months and we still haven't changed the rest of his room from the nursery decor. ack! it's not my favorite. i'll definitely be using your ideas. thanks, girlie!

    happy thanksgiving week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect little boy's room! I LOVE all the details!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will make my day a happy one, thank you!