I love polka-dots, always have. So, I went crazy and did 3 polka-dot projects. The first one was place-mats for the kitchen table. They were originally going to be Valentine's Day place-mats but I chose to leave the felt heart off and keep them simple, just the way I like them.
I started off with 8 rectangles cut out slightly bigger than I wanted the final place-mat to be. I then did a whole lot of ironing...

My Mom described a more professional way to make place-mats but since I am so visual the directions made no sense to me. I just made it up as I went along and had fun in the process.
I cut this stuff out to go inside the 2 pieces of fabric...
After I had ironed all the edges, I placed the piece of batting in between and then pinned the 3 pieces together...
Next, I took it to my sewing machine and just sewed a straight stitch all the way around. So quick and easy.
I was so anxious to get them on the table. When I finished the first one, I placed it under the napkin basket and thought it had such a happy feel...
Now these place-mats are so far from perfect but I love them...
And here they are, all four of them in their place...
Next up was a Valentine's Day banner. Avery is beside herself with excitement about this holiday so she was thrilled to help me put this banner up on our mantle...


Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the making of the banner. I made it way harder than it should have been and it took me way too long. I also took a chunk out of my finger along the way. It was quite an adventure. I just used the same polka-dot fabric from the place-mats and then some red & white gingham scraps from my Mom. I sewed each edge and then cut white felt letters that I hand stitched to each square.
For the finishing touch, I cut 4 red felt hearts and added ribbon loops before I stuffed them and hand stitched them closed...
For my final polka-dot project, I just had to make Tyson a special Valentine's Day tie shirt out of some smaller red & white polka-dot fabric. I just cut out the tie from a tie pattern my Mom and I made awhile back. I attached it to the shirt with some heat 'n bond in a few places so that it wouldn't slip around on me, took it to the machine, and sewed it right on the shirt...
My Mom has made him a couple tie shirts but this is the first one made by me. I was so excited and can't wait to see my little man in it...
Seriously, don't polka-dots just make you smile?











And now we all have polka dot envy. Seriously, they couldn't be cuter!! Great, great job, as always. :)
ReplyDeletethose are too cute. you did a great job!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so well with your sewing machine! I love the placemats...and yes, the polka dots too. Your banner is adorable.
ReplyDeleteI too LOOOOOOOOOOOVE polka dots!!!
ReplyDeleteI am a stripes and polka dots girl, so I love it! And that onesie with the tie is TOO CUTE. I'd love to have had one of those for each of my boys! (7, 5 and 22 months now) ... too big for onesies anymore!
ReplyDeleteThe placemats are so cute! Great job!!
ReplyDeleteThose are so cute! I love polka dots and those are perfect! I love the banner and the super cute tie onsie...you have been busy! Really fun!
ReplyDeleteLOVE.LOVE.LOVE it all! I am sad your cut a chunk out of your finger...but you were working with reds so hoefully the blood worked for you! :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome job Tiffany! I love the banner - I can't believe you hand sewed all the letters on! You have more patience than me. And Tyson's onsie is so cute - I just bought Wonder Under last week to make applique shirts for the girls. One of these days I'll get around to it!
ReplyDeleteSo cute, all of it!
ReplyDeleteI will take 2 placemats made out of orange & white polka dot or lime green & white polka dot material please.
**hint, hint, sister day is coming...
I love polka-dots too! Your placemats and sign are darling! I love the tie too!
ReplyDeleteSo adorable, Tiffany!!! Now if you can figure out a way to make a onesie for Sable!!!!
ReplyDeleteWell, I've said it many times before, and I'm sure I'll say it about a million more, but you are SO CREATIVE!!! I love your placemats, the banner, and that absolutely adorable tie shirt for Tyson! Seriously, he's already a heartbreaker, but he will steal everyone's hearts with that shirt on! I can't wait to see pictures of him in it!
ReplyDeleteLove it! I love polka dots too!
ReplyDeleteFound you while blog hopping. Totally cute blog! You need to come visit us on Mondays for our linky party. :)
ReplyDeleteOK One more comment to say gosh I love your 1,2,3. Pure Genius!
ReplyDeleteI'm following along!