Sunday, May 29, 2016

the night before the move

The last night in our first home, we decided to drive over and take a peek at the new home just a few miles away.  Jason and I had been feeling some stress and sadness over the move and were struggling a bit just desperately wanting to savor every last minute.  On our way to the new neighborhood, Jason spotted a turtle in the road.  He pointed it out to me and the kids and then we kept going.  He turned and whispered to me, "I have to go back and get it, don't I?"  I said he definitely should. Not because I am a fan of turtles or any animals for that matter but because we needed it in that moment of uncertainty, fear, and excitement for one chapter ending and another beginning. I totally believe that God placed that turtle in our path to bridge the gap from one home to the other.  He knew exactly what we all needed that night and He blessed us in such a simple and perfect way. It gave us a sweet last memory involving both neighborhoods.  The night had a sweetness and glow to it unlike most.  It was special and we all knew it.


We had so much fun watching that turtle.  The kids named it and kept talking about how they finally had their first pet.  That was our cue to make sure they understood we were not keeping it permanently but only for a few hours.


They all took turns holding the turtle.




And then we did, in fact, take that turtle for a walk in the stroller.  The kids put some grass and leaves and random things in a big box and hooked it up to the stroller.  I am sure neighbors wondered why in the world we were strolling a waffle box.




That turtle brought us all so much joy that night.  The kids made him a bed in the backyard hoping he would stay the night but when we checked in the morning, he was gone.  The kids were bummed but they understood.


And we all love to remember the night Daddy turned around and picked up our first family pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will make my day a happy one, thank you!