Saturday, March 07, 2015

i love to sew.

Sewing is pretty much magic.  I love pretty fabric and getting to pick that out and then find the perfect pattern for it is something I get giddy about.  I have been sewing for several years now but that has mostly consisted of about a billion bibs, a few blankets, several tooth fairy pillows, and an unknown number of onesie dresses.  My real dream was to make "real" dresses for my girls just like my Mama always did for me.  I have always been so proud to say "My Mom made it" when somebody asked where our girls dresses came from.  Now I can actually say "I made it".  Amazing.

I set a goal to make the girls Easter dresses myself this year.  And I now have 1 down, 2 to go!  I am beyond excited about this dress.  My Mom knew how much I wanted this special Sarah Jane fabric and so it was my birthday present back in November.  It is so beautiful that I was scared to cut into it but I finally found the perfect pattern and decided to make it happen.  I could not love the finished product any more...


The pattern is the Edelweiss dress by Hey June and I feel like I want to make 100 of them.  I finished it in two days because once I begin a project, I become obsessed until it is complete.  The kids may have had to totally fend for themselves but they lived through the ordeal and now one of them has a beautiful dress to show for it.  


I made a few mistakes of course but I am the only one that will notice and I learned so much in the process.  I may or may not have hung it from our mantel as Jason and I watched television last night so I could stare at it.  I can't take my eyes off of it.  I am just kind of shocked that I actually made it.  It is my new favorite item of clothing in our home.  I have the exact one all cut out and ready to sew for Violet.  I will use a different pattern for Avery in a coordinating fabric and I am sure Tyson will end up with a matching tie.  Oh, how I love to sew. 

I had bought another pattern by Hey June when I bought this one called the Greenpoint Cardigan.  I made it as a gift for a good friend's sweet little one year old.  That pattern seriously took me out of my comfort zone and I learned a ton from it.  My favorite part was that I used old t-shirts of Jason's and buttons I had on hand.  I love when that works out.  Here was the finished product from that pattern...


And then I made a coordinating tie t-shirt for the little guy to wear under his cardigan.  Not sure if I have ever been so proud of a present in my life. 


I guess I can now officially call myself a "sewer".  Ah, I love the sound of that. 

Update:  I completed the Easter outfits and all four of our little munchkins wore them proudly to church that morning and even cooperated for a photo shoot afterward.  The little man got a coordinating polka-dot tie made with THIS tutorial.  And I made him a Greenpoint cardigan by Hey June to go with it.  He was completely irresistible.


Then the little girls in their matching dresses made me want to cry.  They were just as excited as I was to wear them which was so fun!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will make my day a happy one, thank you!