Wednesday, July 15, 2020

dear tyson


Dear Tyson Carter,

Oh, my boy, you have suddenly turned 12 years old and I can hardly believe that to be true. You are as sweet as you've always been and still crazy about your Mama. Your Daddy has taught you well how to make a woman feel loved and special and you are so good at it. 

One minute, you have me wanting to pull my hair out with your constant challenging of our authority and the next minute, I can't stop staring at your face and squeezing you because you're the most lovable little man. You have a serious need for justice which is awesome because it's the way you were designed by God but it can also pose some problems when a bad call is made in a driveway basketball game with neighbors. You are slowly learning what is worth getting upset over and what is simply not. It's a process and we'll always be here to support and encourage along the way to becoming the man God created you to be. 

Your favorite friends at school are probably Evan Bartlett and Vanessa but you have a ton of friends all over the place between school, church, and the neighborhood. You are a friendly little man who continues to ask grown-ups how they're doing and tells people to have a good day. You're pretty fearless still and love roaming in the woods behind our neighborhood. You are tough when you get hurt, especially when I'm not around. Occasionally, you turn it on when I am around because you know I will give you all the sympathy you need. 

You got through basketball season before Covid shut everything down. You're a natural encourager during games always patting teammates on the back, giving fives, and offering a compliment or two. It's my favorite part of watching you play.  Unfortunately, baseball was cancelled due to the pandemic and that was a big bummer because Daddy was supposed to coach again and the team was a great group of boys but there will be other chances in the future. 

We did find out this year that you have Dysgraphia. I have known it since 3rd grade when I looked up signs that were showing up at school, that your teachers had communicated to us. Your 3rd and 4th grade teachers were amazing and made necessary accommodations to help you succeed and they worked. You have thrived and done so well in school despite your challenges with writing. We finally decided to get you officially tested and they confirmed what we already knew to be true. Dysgraphia makes it hard for you to put down on paper what you have in your head so you know have a 504 plan at school that allows you to type assignments when needed along with some other minor accommodations that seem to make all the difference. You have handled it all in stride and we're so proud of the way you have overcome these challenges. The Lord gave you a brilliant mind and we love watching you bloom and figure stuff out. 

It is a blessing and privilege to have a front row seat watching your story unfold. You're a treasure Tyson Carter and I am so happy I get to be your Mama.

Happy 12th Birthday my favorite son. 

Love you to the moon and back a billion times infinity.

Mommy

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will make my day a happy one, thank you!