Dear Mia,
I am finally writing your birthday letter two months after the actual day and still not believing that you are five years old. I will probably get used to it and then you will go and turn six on me. But for now, I will continue trying to get the number 5 through my head and embrace it.
Mia Grace, you amaze us constantly. Your precious soul is full of more wisdom and depth than I have seen in adults decades older than you. You love with a fierceness that is inspiring. Your family is your favorite thing about life. You love family time. We seem to be cut from the same cloth, you and me, and you love it when I tell you how we are alike. You have always been a big fan of mine and know how to make me feel like supermom even on the worst of days. Your favorite thing to say to me is "I couldn't have even picked a Mommy as amazing as you." When I whisper in your ear at bedtime that "I love being your Mommy", you respond every single time with the words "I love being your child". Those words never fail to make me smile.
You still love to take care of people, that has been your nature from the beginning. You and Violet play together so sweetly (sometimes) a game where she is the baby and you are the Momma. This is the only time she will really let you take care of her so you eat it up. You call her "darling" and it's precious.
You have a very sentimental side we have noticed as it is hard for you to give stuff up that you outgrow, even clothes. You used to get very upset when we passed clothes on to Violet but as you grow, you are happily giving them up with only a few occasional tears and maybe a verbal recall of where you wore them and why they were your favorite.
You often give things up that you really want (such as the last chewy granola bar or bottle of bubbles) for your siblings (especially Violet) because you just want people to be happy. You have a sweet smile that comes across your face after you do something kind, a smile of pure satisfaction as if you fulfilled your purpose in life having given up that last bag of fruit snacks.
You like computer time but you can go days without it and not care. You usually choose to play Barbies or Little People quietly during Violet's naps rather than watch television. But when you do watch tv, your favorite show is Sophia the First or Olivia. You love to be read to and Fancy Nancy books are probably your favorite. You sit patiently letting me practice french braids on your hair for as long as it takes. You love dresses and you thought your special birthday dress this year was extra beautiful because it was gold and sparkly. You commented a few times about how the straps were like Mommy's bra straps and that made us laugh. You thought it was a big girl dress because of that.
Pizza is your favorite food and you love to drink a smoothie in the morning with a straw cut down to fit just right in your little glass. Energy bites are your favorite snack and you mostly drink water, a little milk every once in awhile, and there is the rare occasion when we let you have juice.
"Black and White", the panda is still your favorite stuffed animal and the chosen one for cuddling at bedtime. You mentioned to me the other night how you are not going to let your kids play with her and you will explain to them that she is special and just for decoration.
Your favorite friend is your cousin Leia. You love sharing a room with Avery and are especially happy when she reads to you at night. Violet wants to do everything that you do and it is funny to watch. Since Violet turned 3, you two have been in the same class at church on Sunday mornings and this makes you both so happy. When you walk into the class holding hands, I want to cry every time. Your teachers frequently tell us that you two are "the cutest and sweetest".
You love to tell stories, really long stories about whatever is on your mind at the moment. They are very involved and detailed and you are quite animated as you share them. Your prayers at dinner are thoughtful and sweet. You informed me recently that you've been praying on your own at different times in the day and that makes my heart want to burst. I know God loves hearing from you and I pray that you always have a desire to talk with Him.
You started a "real" ballet class this year. You have loved every minute of it so far. You had only been in a short 5-week class at the Y so this is a much different experience. You love that your teacher is a "real" ballerina. You take it seriously and were so proud the other day when your teacher pointed out something you did well. I love seeing you in that little black leotard, pink tights, and a bun in your hair. You certainly look the part and it's precious.
The other day I got out some fall decorations so we could spruce up the mantel and a few other spots around the house. You were so excited and got really into helping me. You had a lot of ideas on where things should go. I liked a couple of your ideas and used them. You were thrilled and with a giggle exclaimed, "I have good ideas" as if you had just realized that. I loved decorating with you.
You love a good photo shoot and gave me all kinds of fun and sweet poses when I finally got around to taking your five year pictures. Thank you for humoring me when it comes to picture time. Photos are special to me and I desperately want to remember these days.
Thank you for being awesome Mia Grace. I absolutely love being your Mommy.
I love you.
xoxo




No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comment will make my day a happy one, thank you!